Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Beauty of the Present Moment

I was reading my tattered old handwritten book of inspirational affirmations and quotes this morning because I was feeling a bit disheartened and hallow. I woke up thinking, "Yep, another day waiting tables and not getting to act. Poor me." I knew I needed to snap out of that mind set. No matter what mood I'm in, I always seem to come across one of the quotes in this book and it will hit me as if it were the first time I've read it. Mind you, I've read these probably hundreds of times. I read them, and added to them, every single day in the last half of my time in Singapore to get me through.

"Don't spoil the beauty of the present moment by wishing for something else."

I'm so blessed. I have so much and I spend a lot of time wishing for more. It's great to want and strive for more, of course! But, if you aren't appreciating what is right in front of you, what's it all for? Last night I decorated a tree and had hot cider with my wonderful room mate and then got to snuggle with the man that I love watching TV while getting a foot rub. If I were a working actress, it wouldn't have made a difference. Yeah, the tree would have been real and my apartment would have been bigger but who cares? The only thing that mattered last night were the people I shared my time with and it was beautiful.

So that's what I'm thinking of today. There's no big detailed story, no funny anecdote. I'm just going to concentrate today on the beauty of the present moment. I'm going to go to my job (I HAVE a job, how lucky am I?!) where I work with fantastic people, owners who I adore and be finished within a few hours with the amount of money lots of people have to work an entire day or two for. Then, I have the rest of the beautiful day to do whatever I want!

Today is beautiful and I'm grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wow! You made it all the way to the end of the story! Thanks! Thoughts?