Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Words

I can't help but write about this because I woke up early, unable to get back to sleep thinking about it.

Words are my downfall. They weigh so heavy on me and it's so hard for me to separate them from my emotions. If you've never read The 5 Love Languages, I highly recommend it because it really opened my eyes years ago. The basic premise is that we all show and receive love in different ways. After reading the book it's usually very clear what your "language" is (and what your parents languages are, which in turn really effects you) and that makes it easier to communicate love to others whether it be in a friendship or romantic relationship. When I read it I was immediately like, "HOLY CRAP!" I completely, 100% give AND receive love in the form of words.

I'm the girl who will always be forthcoming about my feelings (whether they are undying feelings of love or complete and utter disgust). I've always been that way. Sometimes it leaves me feeling incredibly vulnerable. I take what someone says in one moment and hold on to it for dear life. "But you SAID this!" We all know we say things in the moment that we very much mean . . . but then feelings change. That has been a huge lesson for me: to accept that those words were real at the moment, but now the moment has passed and I can't hold that person to those words.

Words are also why I have always loved reading, writing, and acting. They are so moving! I mean, gees, who can resist a Shakespearean sonnet?! (Okay, LOTS of people can resist them, but not me!)

So as I was lying in bed I was just thinking about a situation in my life right now where I feel stuck and it's completely attached to the fact that I am putting a TON of weight on words and how I often let the fact that the words aren't backed up by actions slip by.

"Words are but symbols for the relations of things to one another and to us; nowhere do they touch upon absolute truth."
Friedrich Nietzsche 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wow! You made it all the way to the end of the story! Thanks! Thoughts?